International Affiliated Organizations
- The (Un)faithful Mirror of ICHTH: the Scholarly Journal STORIA DELLA STORIOGRAFIA and the Developments in the History and Theory of Historical Writing
- Hayden White and the International Commission for the History and Theory of Historiography
- Conversations with Georg Iggers Regarding the History of Historiography
- A Human Rights View of the Past
- Hayden White and the Exemplary Role of 'Narrative Argumentation’ in Memory Debates
- Globalizing the Field of Historiography as A Mission: Georg Iggers and Zhang Zhilian
- Émigrés, Social Activist and Historian: The Diversity and Unity in Georg G. Iggers
Between Georg Iggers and Hayden White: Forty Years of the International Commission for the History and Theory of Historiography
In 1980, a group of historians, including Charles-Olivier Carbonell (France), Lucian Boia (Romania) and Georg Iggers (US/Germany), co-founded the International Commission for the History and Theory of Historiography (ICHTH). The goal of the organization was “to provide a strategic center for the advancement and coordination of efforts to promote the theory and history of historiography as subjects of research and teaching among historians across the world.”
Over the past forty years, thanks to their leadership and active participation of such well-known historical thinkers as Hayden White and Frank Ankersmit, the ICHTH has played a notable role in promoting the study of historical theory, historiography and historical methods. In late 2017 and early 2018, Georg Iggers and Hayden White both passed away. This panel is organized to remember and reflect on their legacy as great intellectuals of our age as well as their outstanding contributions to ICHTH, to CISH, and to worldwide historical study at large.
This panel will also discuss critical issues and challenges faced by historians today and seek and explore new ideas and approaches. As such, we hope it will attract attendance not only from ICHTH members but also draw attention from all the attendees at the CISH congress in Poznan in 2022.